5 Things To Have On Your ‘Rochester Summer Bucket List’
Sure, Minnesota gets cold in the winter. Our winters can last pretty long too! But that doesn't stop us from taking advantage of every bit of summer we do have!
I learned this during my first Rochester summer in 2016. I moved here in July of that year, but a month later I was already invited to a cookout by some co-workers. It was SO MUCH FUN! Okay, the pool they had made it better - but still, it was a great way to enjoy a summer day.
If you're new to Rochester, a local, or just spending time here temporarily, here are some things you must absolutely do during our summer.
- Attend a 'Thursdays' block party downtown. You're going to hear "Wanna go to Thursday's tonight?" out some someone's mouth on a Thursday in Rochester during the summer. It's not a restaurant. It's a party. Tonight, it returns for Summer 2018 and it's held into August.
- Watch the Twins at Rooster's. If we're being honest, Rooster's (north or south) is just one of many cool sports bar hangouts in Rochester, but there's a sense of community at Rooster's when the Minnesota Twins are on.
- Bring beer to a cookout. Your neighbors and friends will thank you. It's an easy way to make friends if you haven't yet. Plus, cookouts are pretty much religion here. It's not summer without them.
- Hike at Quarry Hill. It gets a little crowded on the weekends sometimes, but this is a perfect family-friendly thing to do in the summer. Trails are easily marked so there's no confusion.
- Enjoy Rochesterfest. In the summer, there's no better place to be seen in the community than at Rochesterfest. It's got several events all week long tailored to everyone - seriously. The parade on Saturday of that week at 2 pm is the highlight.
There ya go! If you needed any ideas for what to do in the summer in our area, I can't think of a better way to spend it than by completing that list.
Listen to Val afternoons from 2p to 6p on Quick Country 96.5.
Listen to Val from 10a to 2p on Z-Rock 107.7.