Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - The Rochester Police Department issued a statement Thursday concerning an attempted child abduction that was reported last week.

Police Captain John Sherwin says it has been determined no public safety threat exists and the events in question did not occur as originally reported.

A 7-year-old girl and her 6-year-old brother told police that a man and woman attempted to abduct them after they left their school bus at The Gates of Rochester apartment complex along 41st Street Northwest last Friday afternoon. They also told investigators the man displayed a knife and the woman took photos of them.

Captain Sherwin says the determination that no public safety threat exists is based on numerous police interviews and information gathered by investigators. He also notes the two children involved only recently arrived in the U.S. and have limited English skills. Sherwin says the report was widely distributed to the community because of the serious nature of the allegation and out of concern for public safety.