Is This the Most Inappropriate Thing People Say to Pregnant Women?
Why do people ask pregnant women such inappropriate questions? Why do these same people expect an answer, and then be rude if they don't like the answer? Here's what an Iowa friend posted...
See? First, mind-ya-own-damn-business, and second, you asked, she answered, why be rude about it?
I know a TON of people ask these kinds of intrusive, personal, questions (Is he the father? Are you still with the father? Was it planned?) and I know a LOT of people say, "Well, what can you do?"
Well, you can be armed with some non-rude, but definitely snarky, and honest responses...
Ways you can respond to, "Are you going to breastfeed?"
- Not sure. What are you planning to do with your breasts?
- Nope. My baby is gluten, soy, and lactose intolerant.
- Why? Do you want some? (Best if the person is just a flipping tool).
- I appreciate your input, but I've already decided to just dip a dirty rag in milk.
- No, I prefer wine.
- And my favorite, tho it takes a lot of guts to be this honest: I can't imagine why you would ask me such a personal question, person in line with me at the Holiday Station Store.
If they're asking to say you should or shouldn't, tell 'em Mayo Clinic says breastfeeding is optimal, but there's a lot more to it than that, so formula feeding your baby shouldn't make you feel ashamed or like a bad parent. It is 100% your choice and don't be bullied into one or the other.
If you're looking for an amusing way to look at the argument, Adam Ruins Everything did this segment, which, according to this review, has some misleading statements, but is generally accurate.