Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - A Rochester teenager who was involved in a deadly stabbing earlier this year will not face criminal charges.  

Olmsted County Attorney Mark Ostrem announced Wednesday the investigation into the death of 15-year-old Jose Negrete determined the other male teenager was acting in self defense.

The stabbing occurred in the parking lot of the Domino’s Pizza restaurant near  41st St NW in the early morning hours of July 1st.

Ostrem says Negrete was wearing a Halloween mask when he confronted a group of teenagers. Ostrem says Negrete intended to rob the teens and pulled out a large hunting knife. When he stabbed one of the teens in the neck, the two got into a fight and the knife fell to the ground. During the fight, the other 15-year-old grabbed the knife and stabbed Negrete.  Ostrem says Negrete tried to ride his bicycle away but collapsed and died a short while later. The other teenager was taken to St. Marys for treatment of his injury and later released.

Ostrem says it was also learned Negrete had earlier confrontations with the same group of teens before the stabbing.

For 24/7 news and sports check KROC AM and follow KROC-AM on Facebook.