Outdoor Christmas lights may be to blame for a house fire in the Hayfield area last night.


The Dodge County Sheriff’s Department says a 911 call was made around 5 p.m. from the residence near  250th Ave and 723rd St. in rural Hayfield. Firefighters from Hayfield and Kasson fought the blaze, which was mostly on the exterior of the home.

The department says an outdoor bush caught fire and the flames spread to a corner of the house and then to the home’s gas meter. There was some damage to the interior of the house, but most was confined to the outdoor siding of the residence.

The department says  three people were transported to St. Mary’s for treatment of minor smoke inhalation.

 No damage estimate was made.