Free Swimming In Rochester’s Public Pools This Summer
On today's Rochester Today program, 5th Ward Rochester City Council Member Shaun C. Palmer announced it's a done deal, this summer there will be free afternoon swimming at Rochester's Silver Lake and Soldiers Field public swimming pools.
Sean Palmer (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) said using some of the $17 Million in Covid Relief money made free afternoon swimming possible. The details of the afternoon free swimming were not available at this time.
There will also be means tested free swimming lessons. The swim lessons are part of a partnership between Rochester's Swim Club Orcas to manage the outdoor pools for the summer of 2021.
Click play to hear the entire show with Sean Palmer.
ROCHESTER SOLDIERS FIELD POOL INFO
- Address: 244 Soldiers Field Drive SW
- Season Opener: Saturday June 5,2021 (weather premitting)
- Hours: 7 Days a Week: 12 PM - 8 PM
- Pool Parties: The zero depth pool at Soldiers Field may be reserved seven days a week for $110 per hour. That includes life guard. Contact the Soldiers Field pool manager to make reservations at 281-6180.
- Closes for the Season: Early August 2021
ROCEHSTER SILVER LAKE POOL INFO
- Address: 840 - 7th Street NE
- Season Opener: Monday June 7, 2021 (weather permitting)
- Hours: 7 Days a Week 12 PM - 5 PM
- Pool Parties - Pool Parties and Private Pool Rentals are also available at Silver Lake Pool. Contact the Silver Lake Pool Manager for more information 281-6180.
- Closes for the Season: Late August 2021
ADMISSION PRICES FOR BOTH ROCHESTER PUBLIC SWIMMING POOLS
- $4 child (Ages 1-17)
- $5 adult (Ages 18 & Up)
- $32 for 10 punch pass *Must be used the summer of 2021
DO ROCHESTER POOLS CLOSE IF IT IT GETS COLD?
Not that it ever might get cool in Minnesota, but..."If the air temperature is below 70 degrees at 5:00 p.m. and attendance is 10 paid admissions or less, the pool will close. If the pool is not open by 3:00 p.m. due to weather conditions, it will not open that day. Updates will be posted on the Orcas Summer Pools Facebook Page."
DIDN'T I HEAR SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BEFORE?
Previously we've written about the Rochester City Council being asked to approve the budget to fix and open the Silver Lake and Soldier's Field pools for summer 2021.
Tonight the Rochester City Council will be discussing opening the Silver Lake Swimming Pool, perhaps without entry fee for Rochester residents.
According to the City Council agenda, it is estimated the city will need to spend at least $50,000 to make basic temporary repairs needed to reopen the pool and keep it open through the summer. That money would also cover the cost of repairs needed at the Soldiers Field pool. An additional $45,000 would have to be appropriated to cover the day-to-day operational costs of just the Silver Lake pool. Read More: Rochester Considering One More Season For Silver Lake Pool
Immediate repairs could keep the Silver Lake Pool open this summer, at least until it conks out (which is possible, according to engineer's reports on the pool).
PERSONAL NOTE: I think it's awesome the pools will be open and free swimming will be available. I know it isn't a high-priority with us facing the economy and Covid-19, etc, however, I would love to see a citizens group form to encourage the city to consider a waterpark to replace the two aging and in constant need of repair pools.
Or, upgrade both pools so they'll last another 50 years and create a public/private partnership opportunity for a water park, too.
What do you think?
As always, if you have a comment, complaint, or concern about something I wrote here, please let me know: email@example.com
Listen to James Rabe and Jessica Williams 6a to 10a on Y-105 FM's Early Morning Show.