The Amazing Act Who Had The Biggest Crowd Ever At The Minnesota State Fair
The Great Minnesota Get-Together is in the middle of its 2023 run right now, so can you guess which artist drew the biggest crowds of all time when they played at the Fair?
According to its official website, the Minnesota State Fair started offering entertainment in the grandstand way back in 1962. Dennis Day, Jane Russell, and Jimmy Dean were the headliners on the main stage back then.
Since that time, the State Fair has attracted some pretty big names too. Classic country icons like Buck Owens, Dolly Parton, and Conway Twitty all played here back in the late 60s. In the 70s, Charlie Rich, Jerry Reed, Tanya Tucker, and the Brady Bunch kids were some of the big names on the main stage.
In the 80s, Willie Nelson, Alabama, Barbara Mandrell, and the Oak Ridge Boys were marquee performers. And, in the 90s you had big country stars like Reba McEntire, Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Travis Tritt, and Brooks & Dunn all sell tons of tickets.
But can you guess which performer sold the MOST tickets in Minnesota State Fair history? My guess was Garth, who played here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes right when his popularity was taking off, back in '91 and '92. But, nope, it wasn't him. And it wasn't Tim McGraw, who played here in '97, or even Brooks & Dunn, who played the Fair several times at the peak of their popularity in the late 90s.
So just WHO had the biggest crowds in State Fair history? Well, that'd be... former 'The Voice' judge, Christina Aguilera, who, the site says, "broke the all-time record for the most tickets sold to a single Grandstand show in 2000, selling 22,117 tickets."
Could any of these artists challenge that record? The 2023 State Fair started with the Black Keys on Thursday, August 24th, and then the Chicks on Friday, August 25th. Here's the rest of the 2023 Minnesota State Fair Grandstand line-up:
- Saturday, Aug 26: Keith Urban with special guest Lindsay Ell
- Sunday, Aug 27: Boyz II Men and Chaka Khan
- Monday, Aug 28: Happy Together Tour 2023 featuring The Turtles, Little Anthony, Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, The Vogues, The Classics IV and The Cowsills
- Tuesday, Aug 29: Brandi Carlile with special guest Wynonna Judd
- Wednesday, Aug 30:Yung Gravy with special guest bbno$
- Thursday, Aug 31: Duran Duran: Future Past with special guests Bastille and Nile Rodgers & Chic
- Friday, Sept 1: Jonas Brothers: Five Albums. One Night with special guest Lawrence
- Saturday, Sept 2: Music On-A-Stick featuring The Hold Steady with special guests Bob Mould Band and Dillinger Four
- Sunday, Sept 3: Minnesota State Fair 50th Annual Amateur Talent Contest Finals
- Monday, Sept 4: Blippi: The Wonderful World Tour
Besides the entertainment in the Grandstand, there's always a TON of great FOOD ready for you to sink your teeth into at the Fair. Keep scrolling to check out all of the new offerings available this year-- and to see which vendors make the most money at the Fair too.
Listen to Curt St. John in the Morning
Weekdays from 6 to 10 a.m. on Quick Country 96.5