St. Paul, MN (KROC-AM News) - It was not an amoeba that claimed the life of a Minnesota teenager in early July.

The Minnesota Department of Health says testing conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has determined 14-year-old Hunter Boutain’s death was the result of meningitis caused by a streptococcal infection.

The Alexandria teenager became critically ill shortly after he went swimming in Lake Minnewaska near Alexandria and died several days later. Doctors believed his death was caused by a rare parasitic brain infection that can occur when a person inhales lake water containing an amoeba through their nose, and preliminary laboratory testing supported that diagnosis.

Minnesota previously saw two cases of the deadly amoeba infection in 2010 and 2012 that were tied to a lake near Stillwater, which is still the northernmost location in the U.S. the parasitic brain infection has occurred.

For 24/7 news and sports check KROC AM and follow KROC-AM on Facebook