Man Indicted In Deadly Minnesota Human Smuggling Case
Minneapolis (KROC AM News) - A Florida man who was involved in a deadly border-hopping case in northwest Minnesota has been charged with human smuggling.
A federal grand jury in Minneapolis returned the two-count indictment Thursday against 47-year-old Steve Shand.
The US Attorney’s Office says Shand was driving a 15-passenger van that was stopped by border patrol officers in northwest Minnesota on Jan. 19th. The stop was made less than a mile south of the border. There were two people in the van and they were later identified as undocumented Indian nationals.
It was later learned the two were part of a large family group. It’s believed Shand had planned to pick up a total of 11 Indian nationals who were trying to cross the border into Minnesota.
Authorities later found five more Indian nationals who said they had been walking in a blizzard for 11 hours. Temperatures had fallen to around -30 degrees at the time. A few hours later, the frozen bodies of a man, woman and two children, ages 3 and 11. The victims had apparently become separated from the group.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police says “it appears that they all died due to exposure to the cold weather.”
LOOK: The Most Famous Actor Born Every Year