Minneapolis Man Charged With Drive By Shooting Targeting MN National Guard
Minneapolis, MN (KROC-AM News) - Additional charges were filed today against the Minneapolis man suspected of shooting at Minnesota National Guard soldiers last weekend.
The criminal complaint filed in Hennepin County charges 28-year-old Andrew Thomas with three counts of first-degree assault and two counts of second-degree assault. It's alleged he was the person who fired multiple shots from an SUV in the direction of the guard members and Minneapolis police officers involved in a security mission in North Minneapolis early Sunday.
Court records indicate the shooting occurred around 4:20 a.m. and resulted in two bullets striking a National Guard Humvee with four soldiers inside. One of the bullets crashed through the front windshield and traveled between the front driver and passenger before lodging in the rear of the military vehicle between the rear passengers.
The two soldiers in the front seats suffered injuries that included glass fragments in an eye and facial cuts caused by the shattering glass. One of the guard members was transported to a hospital for treatment.
Minneapolis police attempted to pursue the SUV but were unsuccessful. The complaint says an officer on patrol spotted the SUV around 10 PM Sunday and eventually pulled the driver over in South Minneapolis. Thomas was driving the vehicle and had a female juvenile passenger, who told police she had only recently met Thomas and volunteered that he had a gun.
A search of the vehicle resulted in the recovery of a nine-millimeter semi-automatic handgun and a .22 caliber revolver with the serial number scraped off. The court documents indicate a preliminary ballistics analysis linked the nine-millimeter gun to the shooting.
Thomas, who was previously convicted of a third-degree assault charge, was earlier charged in federal court with illegal possession of a firearm and remains in federal custody.
10 Unsettling Unsolved Mysteries from Minnesota