Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - A Rochester man is being given an opportunity to avoid going to prison for his involvement in a violent brawl.

20-year-old Esad Mujic was sentenced Friday to a year in jail and 20 years on probation. He was also given a stayed prison sentence of a little over 6 years that could be imposed if he gets into trouble.

Mujic pleaded guilty last month to 1st and 2nd degree assault charges stemming from the brawl outside a northwest Rochester home where a party was taking place June 2013. Police say Mujic was asked to leave the party, and the brawl broke out when he returned with 2 other young men. A witness told police Mujic struck a person on the back of the head with the club. One of the people injured during the melee required emergency surgery for a life-threatening brain injury after being struck on the head.

His sentencing order says Mujic will be allowed to serve his jail sentence in annual 90 day increments.

For 24/7 news and sports check KROC AM and follow KROC-AM on Facebook.