Rebuttal: Five Reasons Minnesota is Jealous of Wisconsin
When word came down about a week ago that Minnesota was ranked as the second-best state in the country (ahead of Wisconsin),
Val, I mean, uh, a certain member of our staff wrote about the Five Reasons Wisconsin Is Jealous of Minnesota. Well, though that ranking may be true, as a loyal Wisconsin native, allow me to offer this rebuttal of why Minnesota is actually jealous of Badger State. Now, keep in mind, these are all in good fun. I really do love living here in Minnesota, and appreciate all the great things Rochester and the Land of 10,000 Lakes offers. (Hey, I even rooted for the Vikings in the NFC Championship game in January!) But when someone fires a shot at my home state (you can read Val's original story HERE), the Wisconsin native in me still has to fire back, right? So without further ado, here are...
Five Reasons Minnesota Is Jealous of Wisconsin
1) Wisconsin's vehicle registration is just $75. Yes, renewing your tabs in America's Dairyland is a flat fee and is the same no matter which car you drive-- it's not based on the worth of the vehicle, like here in Minnesota. If you buy a new here in Minnesota, you'll pay probably three times as much!
2) Wisconsin's sales tax is lower. According to the latest figures from Turbo Tax, if you buy something in Wisconsin, you won't pay as much because Wisconsin ranks 17th in the nation when it comes to sales tax. Meanwhile, here in Minnesota, we're ranked 5th!
3) Wisconsin has two Great Lakes. Sure, Minnesota's North Shore on Lake Superior is gorgeous, but Wisconsin claims Gitcheegumee's South Shore-- as well as the entire western shore of Lake Michigan too. (Door County, anyone?)
4) Wisconsin is America's Dairyland. According to the latest stats, no other state produces as much cheese-- and as much incredible quality, world-class cheese-- as Wisconsin. No other state has won as many international cheese awards as Wisconsin cheesemakers have. And, hey, Wisconsin even invented the cheese curd.
5) Wisconsin's NFL Team Has Won Four Super Bowls. Okay, I know this is a sore subject with Minnesotans and I don't mean to rub it in, but the Packers HAVE won the Super Bowl four times-- in 1967, 1968, 1997 and 2011. They've been around since 1919 and they play in one of the country's most iconic stadiums that ranks right up there with Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, and other classic ballparks. I try not be one of those obnoxious Packer fans, but I gotta call this one this time!