7 Tips To Help Make A Snow Day Happen in Minnesota, Iowa, and Illinois
The snow day calculator is a real thing and kids all over Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin check it...a lot! Especially when they hear that a storm could be dumping some snow soon. Kids in the midwest also have a few tricks up their sleeves to try to help make those snow days happen.
7 Tips and Tricks That Kids Do To Try To Get A Snow Day in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois
- Brush your teeth with "special" snow day water - grab some snow from outside and melt it down on the stove into water. Use only that water to brush your teeth before you go to bed.
- Wear your pj's inside out. Since we all own flannel pj's, turn those inside out before you put them on. It is supposed to bring added luck.
- Eat Ice Cream before bed. Because we are in the frozen tundra, only ice cream with moose, fish, bears or some sort of "lake" reference is allowed.
- Only sleep on flannel sheets. (if you have polar bear flannel sheets...extra 5 points!). Let's be honest, the flannel was pulled out of storage in September...so you are probably already doing this one.
- The "snow day" pledge. Recite these "snow day" words coined by Jimmy Fallon's snowball song three times in less than 30 seconds as you stand outside. If you can't make it in 30 seconds, try again. "Snow day, school is closed and I can't wait. Go outside and I just might get into a snowball fight!"
- Finish all of your homework by 7 pm. Yes, you read that right. This one is strictly enforced by the snow day police. (parents, you are welcome. Maybe use your finger to cover this part when you show your kids.)
- Don't go to the grocery store. You already know you have enough deer meat and turkey in the deep freezer or cellar...we don't need to waste our time getting more food. All that hunting in the fall was really just to prepare our tables for these days.
- And last but not least, use the snow day calculator! As soon as we hear that a storm is on the way, the Snow Day Calculator website is refreshed at my house almost every 5 minutes. It basically takes how many snow days you have had, your zip code, and is makes a prediction if a snow day will be happening. Is it accurate? Try it out for yourself and see if it guesses right. You can visit the website at www.snowdaycalculator.com
Get our free mobile app
What other tips do Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin kids have for trying to get a snow day?
I'm sure there is one that I'm missing. Let me know what tips or tricks your kids do to try to help make a snow day happen. Send me a message on my Facebook page - Jessica on the Radio, or DM me on Instagram.
Top 10 Sledding Hills Near Rochester, Minnesota
Rochester, Minnesota has a bunch of great sledding spots that are perfect for an afternoon of winter enjoyment. If you've been on the hunt for a great hill, check out these 10 spots around Rochester that our listeners say are their #1 pick for a fun afternoon!