Hayfield, MN (KROC-AM News) More information is being learned about Monday night’s house fire in Hayfield that sent two young brothers to St. Mary’s for treatment of smoke inhalation and left the family homeless.

The fire was reported just before midnight at the house being rented by Michelle Miller. She has told neighbor Frank D’Amico the fire was started by a candle that had fallen over in her basement bedroom while she was out of the house for a few minutes.

D’Amico says while she was in the bedroom trying to put out the fire, Miller’s 8 year old son came into the room and she told him to get out of the house. D’Amico says the boy instead went to the 3rd floor bedroom of his 4 year old brother and helped him get outside but not before both had inhaled a large amount of smoke. Their mother was not hurt.

The two boys were placed in intensive care.  Miller has told D’Amico the older boy remains in the ICU, as he is also being treated for burns to his esophagus. The fire and smoke caused extensive damage to the house.

D’Amico says an emergency fund has been set up for the family at Citizens State Bank in Hayfield and Mantorville.  An online site has also been established at gofundme.com.

For 24/7 news and sports check KROC AM and follow KROC-AM on Facebook