New MN Drivers Rules 4 Years After Philando Castile’s Homicide
It's the fourth anniversary of her son's homicide, and Valerie Castile announced changes to the Minnesota Driver's Manual for people driving with firearms. She's advocated for the addition to the manual to encourage consistency in traffic stops by law enforcement and ensure that drivers know what to expect. (Source)
You may remember, Philando Castile was shot dead by a police officer during a traffic stop...here's our story from July 7, 2016.
Media reports indicate 32-year-old Philando Castile was in a car with his girlfriend and her daughter, when they were pulled over for a broken tail light. Castile’s girlfriend says an officer asked him for his license and registration. She says Castile informed the officer he had a firearm and a conceal-and-carry permit. She says when Castile reached for his license, the officer shot him four times. Castile was taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center where he died. (MORE)
At the announcement, Ms. Castile said,
“This addition to the Driver’s Manual is about setting a new standard for law enforcement and making sure all drivers and law enforcement know what to expect when you are being pulled over. It's about keeping everyone safe.”
The previous manual included guidance for motorists stopped by law enforcement. The new language outlines in further detail what drivers with firearms should and should not do during a traffic stop.
Highlights of the new guidance for motorists with firearms
- Keep their hands on the steering wheel as the officer approaches.
- Let the officer know they have a firearm.
- Tell the officer the firearm’s location.
Drivers should not:
- Reach around inside the vehicle.
- Get out of the vehicle unexpectedly or approach the officer.
There's also info to let drivers know what to expect from law enforcement. They will,
- Greet the driver.
- Identify themselves as a law enforcement officer.
- Obtain the driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Inform the individual of the reason for the stop and explain the circumstances for issuance of the citation or warning.
- Check both the validity and authenticity of the driver’s license.
You can download the entire manual HERE. The new language starts on page 40.
Listen to James Rabe and Jessica Williams Weekday from 6 - 10 AM on Y-105 FM