Rochester City Council Settles Parking Ramp Lawsuit
Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - Rochester’s lawsuit over its newest parking ramp has been settled.
The City Council agreed to accept a proposed settlement on Monday - exactly one year after it approved the litigation.
The lawsuit essentially accused Collaborative Design Group of not designing the ramp to accommodate an additional ten stories for a housing project, as it was contracted to do.
Shortly after the $31-million ramp opened in 2019, the city began negotiating with a developer on a proposed 10-story housing project on top of the ramp. The talks came to a halt when the developer told the city it had determined there was not sufficient structural and footing support for the project. The city also blamed other problems at the ramp on CDG. The company denied any wrongdoing.
Some serious problems last year led to a temporary closure of the ramp.
The city will receive just over $2-million to settle the suit. The money will be used to cover legal and ramp repair-related expenses.
The city spent half a million dollars in extra costs to construct the ramp so it could support a possible housing project.
City Councilmember Shaun Palmer says a housing project on top of the ramp is no longer an option.
Palmer joined Andy on Rochester Today to talk about those issues, along with a new proposal for a major housing project in downtown Rochester and the plans for a Sixth Street Bridge over the Zumbro River. Listen in the player below: