The Five Deadliest Mass Shootings in the USA
It is a sad list, the places where so many people were killed in mass shootings. At least 50 people were killed in the Orlando nightclub shooting, which makes it the deadliest mass shooting in US history. Here are the top five on the list...
The PBS News Hour lists the 12 deadliest shootings. Here are the top five plus one.
- First, the shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida. Current number of confirmed dead: 50.
- In second place, in Blacksburg, VA, Virginia Tech. A university student shot and killled 32 people on April 16, 2007. It's hard to believe it was that long ago!
- Third happened December 14, 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, CT. 27 people were killed by a 20-year-old that lived nearby and killed his mom before he headed to the school.
- We're up to four, and it takes us back to October 16, 1991. In Killeen, TX, 23 people were killed at Luby’s Cafeteria. The guy that did the shooting was unemployed an dknown to be angry about women and minorities.
- And the number five most deadly mass shooting was at a McDonald’s in San Ysidro, CA. An angry former employee killed twenty-one people July 18, 1984.
The oldest on the "most deadly" list falls at number six. A shooter killed 18 people from the University of Texas Tower in Austin, TX on August 1, 1966. The student at the university shot his wife and mom before sitting in the tower and picking off people below.
SOURCE: The PBS News Hour