So Your Child Swallowed A Lego. Don’t Worry, There Is A FART Score For That!
If you've got kids, you already know that there is a stage where they will put almost anything in their mouth. Anything. Coins. Leaves that fell from the tree. Dirt. And yes...even a Lego. Thanks to some brave souls, we now know how long it takes to poop out a Lego...and what a FART score is. Yep...there is a FART score.
You may think that you will never need this info...but don't let the cute and cuddly baby face fool you. Those cute, little babies turn into toddlers...which is basically the point when you lose all control as a parent. At some point, one of those cute faces will use their cute fingers and find something on the floor that you thought was put away. Before you can grab it out of their hands, it will be in their mouth.
If that item is a Lego and is swallowed, thanks to research done by The Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health, we now know how long it will take to poop that Lego out.
Children frequently ingest coins (generally with minimal reported side effects); however, the ingestion of other items has been subject to less academic study. Parental concern regarding ingestion applies across a range of materials. In this study, we aimed to determine typical transit times for another commonly swallowed object: a Lego figurine head. Participants ingested a Lego head, and the time taken for the object to be found in the participants stool was recorded. The primary outcome was the Found and Retrieved Time (FART) score. - The Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health
So, what was the FART score for a Lego head? 1.71 days.
Got any great stories about your kids? Something they swallowed...maybe some hung temper tantrum in Target? I'd love to hear about it! Send me a message on my Facebook page (Jessica On The Radio) or DM me on Instagram.
Listen to Jessica Williams weekdays from 9 am until 12 pm on Y105FM!
Jessica plays Country’s Greatest Hits weekdays from 12 pm - 6 pm on 103.1 KFIL!