Women’s Film Festival Coming to Rochester
A few years ago, I met a great group of kids that were super excited to be part of a brand new club in Rochester that was going to help them learn how to run. I didn’t know much about the group, Girls on the Run, at that point but it was thrilling to see girls get together for a great reason and hear them encouraging one another.
If you aren't sure what Girls on the Run is, or haven't heard about it, I'll fill you in. Girls on the Run helps girls "recognize their inner strength and celebrate what makes them one of a kind." The group meets with trained coaches in small teams, including on that meets in Rochester. Fun activities, great discussions, and running games happen during the 10-week program for girls that are in 3rd to 8th grade. You can learn more about the programs, including the one in Rochester at www.gotrtwincities.org.
Girls on the Run is continuing to encourage others and are bringing LUNAFEST, a traveling film festival, to Rochester.
“This unique film festival highlights women as leaders in society, illustrated through eight short films by women filmmakers. The films range from animation to fictional drama, and cover topics such as women’s health, body image, relationships, cultural diversity and breaking barriers.” - press release from Girls on the Run
LUNAFEST: Short Films By, For, About Women®
- When: Thursday, October 10th
- Time: Reception starts at 6 pm with the showing of LUNAFEST films from 7 pm - 9 pm
- Where: Rochester Civic Theatre, 20 Civic Center Dr SE, Rochester, MN
- Tickets: $25 for individual tickets or 5 tickets for $100 at www.gotrtwincities.org
- All proceeds from the third annual LUNAFEST will benefit Girls on the Run in Rochester and Chicken & Egg Pictures, a nonprofit organization that supports women nonfiction filmmakers whose artful and innovative storytelling catalyzes social change.