Is The Chateau Movie Theater in Rochester Going to Reopen?
We've been slowly watching places start to reopen in Rochester but one very large building has remained dark. Is the Chateau movie theater, owned by CMX Cinemas going to reopen? I was on a mission this week to get an answer.
I've sent e-mails. I've tried calling them. I've researched countless websites and documents to try to figure out what is going on and here is what I found out.
- Phone calls - I've tried calling the phone number for the Rochester location. The number is disconnected.
- Website - all of the Minnesota theaters owned by CMX Cinemas are no longer listed on their website. The only thing that the website really says is a graphic with the words "Coming Soon Your Favorite Movie Theater Will Be Back". Other websites do talk about the companies financial status and how they filed for Chapter 11 in April. I looked to see if there were any updates on that and if they have stated what locations are closing as a result, but my search left me with zero answers.
- E-mail - the sign on the front doors of the Rochester location has a note on it that says, "Dear Guests, in compliance with the instructions from the Minnesota Governor, CMX Cinemas Chateau will be closed until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding at this time. All tickets purchased will be refunded. CMX Cinemas Chateau, Contact Information: email@example.com. I sent a note to that e-mail address on Monday, August 31st, and never got a response.
- Website "Contact Us" form - I also sent an almost identical message earlier this week to CMX Cinemas through the form on their website.
- Facebook page - there is nothing there that has any information
- Drove to the movie theater in Rochester - I did got to the movie theater just to see if anyone might be around. I didn't see anyone actually working or evidence that anyone was in the building. What I did see though was a lot of garbage that people have decided to dump at the backside of the theater. Car seats. Mattresses. Many items that I really don't think were inside the theater and it looks like it has been there for quite some time.
In most cases, I would say no news is good news, but I'm not sure if that is the case for the Chateau movie theater in Rochester.
I will keep trying to get an answer and when I finally have an update, I'll let you know. Get the Y-105FM app and get all of the latest local stories on your phone. You can follow my Facebook page - Jessica On The Radio and I'll share all of the updates on this story there too. (If you worked there and know anything, can you send me a note to my Facebook page or shoot me an e-mail, please? I'd love to chat with you! - firstname.lastname@example.org)